[mythtv-users] pvr-350 Live Tv Audio to remote frontend Question

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Thu Dec 29 15:24:16 EST 2005

I'm currently an avid Freevo user.  I just installed MythTV yesterday and
started playing with it.  Mythtv is very impressive.

I have mythbackend running on one linux box, with a PVR-350 tuner card.  I
have mythfrontend installed and running on multiple linux boxes.  I can
view and hear mpeg videos on all the frontend boxes.  For live TV, I can
see the video, but I cannot hear the audio.

I've read the mailing list and found a couple of postings on this topic.
It's my understanding that the livetv audio from a Pvr-350 is exported out
of the rear audio jack and not through the PCI bus like it would with the
mpeg stream.  Connecting the PVR-350 audio output back into a sound card
input would allow a mythfrontend to hear audio, however, only on the box
which contains the pvr-350 tuner.  This doesn't help any remote frontend
boxes.

Is there any means to get the audio from a pvr-350 in a mythbackend to the
mythfrontend on another machine?  Are there any plans to address this in
future releases?

In my freevo environment, I handle the remote livetv issue using mpeg
streaming from videolan (www.videolan.org).  It works okay, however,
mythtv appears much nicer and more integrated, albiet, no audio from a
pvr-350.  I'd really like to get this working an give mythtv a shot at
replacing freevo.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim