[mythtv-users] HDTV With Motion Not Smooth

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 29 15:21:14 EST 2005

Michael Haan wrote:

> So, Iknow it's somewhat subjective, but watching Lost, the motion
> seems to be fine.  I'm wondering if 720p vs 1080i might me the issue.
> Does anyone know what Lost is broadcast in, vs My Name is Earl?

Lost is on ABC and ABC is 720p.  My Name is Earl is on NBC and NBC is 1080i.

TTBOMK, it can be broken down as:

ABC/Fox = 720p
CBS/NBC/PBS/UPN*/WB = 1080i

*at least those UPN stations owned by CBS (don't know about the other
UPN stations, but some may be in 720p)

Also, all cable/satellite premium networks (HBO, Showtime, Discovery HD,
HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD) use 1080i for movies/special programs
(because it's better for "not fast"-moving scenes).  ESPN HD (which,
like ABC, is owned by Disney) uses 720p (because it's better for
fast-moving scenes as exist in sports).  Strangely enough, NBA TV uses
1080i (maybe they have the players run slowly :).

Mike