[mythtv-users] Standalone VFD/LCD recommendations?

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 29 12:00:32 EST 2005

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:32:51 -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:

>I'm looking for recommendations on an add-on VFD or LCD display for my
>MythTV box. Most of the relevant threads I've looked at deal with
>cases with built-in displays, unfortunately. My criteria:
>
>* Fits into a 5.25" drive bay.
>* Readable 8' away in the dark.
>* As many lines and columns as is practical while complying with the
>  previous two criteria.
>* Prebuilt; I don't want to have to solder.
>* Cheap as possible.
>* Usable hard buttons and status lights (a red light to indicate that
>  a recording is occurring, for example) would be nice, but not
>  essential.
>
>Suggestions? I've seen the Crystalfontz and Matrix Orbital displays,
>but it's hard to tell online how readable they are.

Check out the Soundgraph Imon series. From memory, I think they have a
retro-fit, drive bay unit. I have a built-in unit in a Silverstone case.
It works nicely with lircd and lcdProc.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638