[mythtv-users] Re:How do you use the keyboard instead of mouse in X?

Support [ Ian Ward ] support at cyberpro.com.au
Wed Dec 28 20:34:49 EST 2005

Alexander Petkov wrote:

>Here's how to use the keyboard for control of the mouse pointer:
>
>http://www.faqs.org/faqs/x-faq/part2/section-19.html

Ratpoison is a window manager that is designed to not need the mouse (
hence ratpoison )
Here is a repost of a message I sent some time ago.....
Ian

Hi all,

I had been meaning to try this for ages, but was bored today so I
thought I would risk WAF & FAF

I have a master backend/frontend running on FC3, I use my FC4
workstation as a frontend when the family insist on watching soap.

ratpoison makes alot of sense as kde is such a beast.
I also took the opportunity to change the way the frontend is spawned so
that on the odd occasion it crashes, you don't need to get up off the
lounge to "control-alt-backspace" the X
I have gdm set to autologon after 5 seconds.

The newest prebuilt rpm I could find was here:
ftp://sunsite.auc.dk/projects/newrpms/www/htdocs/apt/redhat/en/i386/fc2/RPMS.newrpms/ratpoison-1.3.0-1.rhfc2.nr.i386.rpm

this is a FC2 version that loaded on my FC3 without issue, and on my FC4
after installing "compat-readline"

It is a super lean window manager that spawns in an insant.
To get full screen xterm is as easy at typing "Control-c Control-t c"
(that's three keystrokes)
I would recommend it as it saves mucking around with disabling the kde
sound server, modifying mouse focus etc..
Why waste memory on a window manager when it is not required

On RedHat the "switchdesk" command creates .Xclients and
.Xclients-default in your home directory to set for kde
I created a .Xclients-ratpoison and called it from .Xclients , that will
keep it safe from being overwritten with "switchdesk"

Instead of having my startup commands in .kde/Autostart/myth-load.sh I
have put them into the .Xclients script
I also changed things around so that the window manager is spawned to
the background and it is the presence of mythfrontend process  that
keeps the X session from dying.  If the frontend exits, so does the X
session

My one line .Xclients file looks like this........

exec ./.Xclients-ratpoison

My .Xclients-ratpoison looks like this....

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/ratpoison &

# To get an xterm with Ratpoison, "Control-c Control-t c"

# Load nVidia driver custom settings
#nvidia-settings --load-config-only &
# Stop the Nvidia blue line problem
xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 66048

# Disable screensaver and blanking
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off

# Restore sound settings
/usr/bin/amixer set Master,0 80%,80% unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set PCM,0 80%,80% unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set Line,0 80%,80% mute captur
/usr/bin/amixer set Capture,0 80%,80% captur
/usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav &

# Make sure the DVD is umounted
umount /media/cdrecorder

# Launch myth frontend
mythfrontend

# We are here because mythfrontend crashed or was exited
# After we drop out of here, X will terminate
# We could stay in X and the window manager by changing "exit" to "wait"
sleep 2
exit