[mythtv-users] iptables and MythTV

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 00:58:46 EST 2005

On 12/27/05, Doug Bunger <dougbunger at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You turn off the firewall during instalation, because
> you are often using software like apt, yum, up2date,
> synaptic, etc to resolve dependancies.  During
> operation the open ports will depend on you hardware
> deployment:
>
> database needs port 3306 for mysql, usually only tcp
> backend needs port 3306 to get to the database
> backend needs port 80 to access schedule data, usually
> only tcp
> backend *may* need 111 for portmap if /mnt/video is on
> nfs
> backend *may* need random nfs ports as determined by
> nfs
> backend need ports 42160 & 42161 for streaming,
> usually only tcp
> (But I hope you got a really good uplink on your
> remote if you're gonna try it.)
> frontend will probably need all the same.
>
> --- Kirk Grell <kirkgrell at yahoo.com> wrote:

Of course most of these are only of concern if you
do agressive egress filtering.

For your in-house server, presumably behind a
firewall, it becomes sort of self defeating to
filter at that level.  Personally, I don't even
run IPTables on my Myth Boxes because nothing
gets through my seperate firewall, and I don't have
the bandwidth to push live tv out of my box over
my internet connection.