[mythtv-users] Re: Horsepower required for realtime commercial flagging

Andy Poling andy at realbig.com
Tue Dec 27 22:54:36 EST 2005

Jack Lowry <jrlowry376 at adelphia.net> said:
> I currently have an AMD duron 950 wiht 256 Megs of ram and two pvr 250s.
>
> I'd like to be able to do realtime commercial flagging on two streams.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to how much how much horsepower is
> required to hit this target?
>
> I also have a AMD Athalon 2200 XP+ that's currently my workstation that
> I could move to the Myth box
> and buy a new motherboad/CPU for my workstation.

There's an even easier solution, IMHO.  I wanted to use the horsepower of a
couple of pretty powerful workstations for commercial flagging, so I made them
slave backends with the master backend mounted via NFS and with no tuners, set
their job search interval at a fraction of the master backend, and set their
job limit at 2 and the master backend's job limit at 1 (I also used 0 for a
while to disable it completely).

The upshot of this is that these slave backends end up doing all the
commercial flagging instead of the master backend.

To also partially answer your question, my athlonxp 2400+ workstation seems to
be able to easily do realtime commercial flagging on at least one sdtv show
(from a pvr250 at high capture res) at once.  My second input is an hdtv card
and the demands of flagging hdtv are much higher, of course, so I can't really
tell you if it could do two sdtv shows at once.

-Andy