[mythtv-users] [OT] Hardware (video and audio card) questions, differences and features?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 21:59:27 EST 2005

Hello!

I'm looking for an easy-to-use website that will explain the
differences of the nvidia cards to me.  MythTV says I need a Geforce 4
or better to do XvMC, but I've got an MX440 and it barely (nearly
unusably) does it.  I am looking for a faster/better/newer card and
want to know the difference in the 5200, 6200, 6600, GT versions of
those, the 4000...

Second question:

I'm looking for a card that actually works (well) in linux/mythtv with
it's Digital Coax output.  I have yet to actually be able to get
anything to play through my digital out and have my receiver pick it
up as a Dolby Digital sound source (when it's a HD recording with DD
audio).

Optimally, I would set my output device to something suitable
(/dev/dsp?) and it would send it out the digital coax jack on the
soundcard, and my receiver would auto-detect (which it does with
things like DVD's) it's audio type (digital or analog) and playback
actual sound that's pleasing to the ears.

The best I've gotten is a loud repeated 'beat' (which is my best
description, I would guess it's an analog version of the digital
pulse?) which I quickly mute or kill.  I've tried/used a cmipci, an
emu10k1, and onboard via-82xx, all through very new versions of ALSA,
with no avail.

Thanks!