[mythtv-users] MythTV Upgrading and Protocols..

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Tue Dec 27 16:37:39 EST 2005

MythTV Users,

    I have a .15 MythTV backend and two .15 XBox MythTV frontends. The
systems is used heavily by four individuals on an almost hourly basis
and the system has overcome many hurdles to gain the users trust. I am
almost about to add a third encoder to try to minimize conflicts. These
are personal systems so I do not have alot of money to throw at it. So
now on to the questions:

    I want to upgrade to take advantage of the new features but all the
protocol changes have left me in the dust and make upgrading an all or
nothing affair. Can someone suggest a minimum impact upgrade path that
will not disrupt my MythTV setup for a whole weekend? Which is not
acceptable to the users I must say. I can not build a second whole
system to work the kinks out of while this one stays running, although I
wish I could.

    Also, I want to know what is the reasoning behind not keeping the
protocol between frontend and backend backwards compatible? It seems
good practice to not break older versions of MythTV frontends or slaves
in an effort to minimize problems for the user and for other MythTV
integrated projects out there.

--
Regards,
     John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>