[mythtv-users] How To: Hack a network DVD-player to a fullfledged Mythfrontend

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Tue Dec 27 11:44:15 EST 2005

I've got an frontend set up to network boot - it doesn't have any hard
drive or CF card.  Seems to work well - only if you know how to :)

A good starting point is http://netboot.sourceforge.net/

Basically it involves getting the computer to download an image either
via the BIOS or a floppy drive - boot from floppy - then mount the NFS
drive as root filesystem then go from there.

For your situation, the 4MB flash might be enough to contain a kernel
that will mount a NFS drive as a root filesystem (kernel will need to be
compiled to be able to mount NFS drives as root filesystems).  If
netboot is possible, that might be the way to go for you.

Good luck!

Cheers - Piers