[mythtv-users] Recording HD content from a Comcast/Dish/DTV box

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Dec 26 21:42:43 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 17:49 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 18:11 -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > There are two ways to capture HDTV.
> >
> > 1)  OTA with an HDTV tuner card
> > 2)  via Firewire from a cable box like the Motorola DCT-6200 (IIRC).
> > This is limited only to the channels that the cable provider provides
> > unencrypted on the firewire port
> Make that 3...
> 3) Cable QAM with an HDTV tuner card to get the digital channels that
> that the cable provider provides... effectively a subset of option 1,
> but suitable for those in places where HD antennae can't be put up
> effectively...

So if I get an HDTV card like the pcHDTV-3000 and it has support for QAM
(which I believe the 3k does), I can just plug the cable into the card
and have it pick up any unencrypted HD channels? So HBO-HD probably
won't work, but Fox HD should, right? Or is there something else I'm

And what about encoding the video? If I get a hardware encoder can it
encode HD content the same way as regular content, or am I going to be
looking at doing software encoding for HD?

Thanks much for the help.

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837