[mythtv-users] Choppy video, mythfrontend eating cpu

Vincent Berger vibe06 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 15:30:18 EST 2005

I'm building my first myth box. I've got most of the stuff working but I
have this lingering problem for which I'd appreciate some help.

Video playback is choppy, with lots of "prebuffering pauses". The CPU is
pegged at 100%, all of it on mythfrontend according to top. It's the same
whether I play live tv or a recording. If I play with mplayer instead
(either live on /dev/video0 or a recording made by myth), it's all smooth
with the CPU at < 10%, big difference ! Searching the archives, I found
references to possible sound problems, but I don't think that's the case
here, I've tried to cripple my sound artificially by pointing mythfrontend
to an alsa device that doesn't exist (and saying OK to continue with no
sound), and the problem remains, choppy video, high cpu (and no sound of
course).

This is on an up-to-date gentoo, amd64 (Athlon 64 3000), 512MB, sata drive,
PVR-150, video output to a CRT TV through S-Video on a cheap nVidia card.
Latest nVidia driver (81.78), gentoo ebuild for mythtv (0.18.1-r1).

Any clue where to look ?
Thanks
     Vincent