[mythtv-users] Re: fc3 to fc4

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Dec 26 12:44:13 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 12:08:00AM +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > It should work fine with a simple upgrade. Of course you will need to
> > explicitly install the ivtv-kmdl matching your new kernel like you
> > do on each kernel upgrade, e.g.
> >
> > smart update
> > smart upgrade
> > smart install ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r`
>
> Are you recommending that people use smart from FC4 onwards, or FC3 as
> well (ie is apt dead)?

apt isn't really dead, but it isn't evolving or fixing bugs as
well. Especially for x86_64 systems with multilib installations apt is
no fun. :(

> And is smart the recommended way of upgrading to FC4 from FC3?

Honestly, the only non-anaconda upgrades that ever convinced me where
these of apt. So if you are on i386 use apt to upgrade. On x86_64 use
anaconda and then smart to heal the wounds anaconda rips open. smart
and yum are both memory eaters and lag on performance compared to apt.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net