[mythtv-users] ide controller advice

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 17:09:32 EST 2005

On 12/16/05, Jon Whitear <jon at whitear.org> wrote:

> My research indicated that 'cheap' IDE RAID controllers aren't worth it
> - they do the RAID in software (the driver) anyway, so you might as well
> use Linux software RAID. If you want RAID in hardware, the 3ware
> controllers are well supported.

Exactly.  Software Raid is stable and scales with the processor
when you upgrade, whereas the hardware raid is as fast on day
one as it will ever get.

Still, it sounded like the OP was not using anything other
than raid 0 (concatenation) and this is just as well done with
LVM as with any form of raid.