[mythtv-users] hardware decoding with firewire

Nick newsgroups at 2thebatcave.com
Sun Dec 25 10:12:45 EST 2005

I am trying to spec out a new myth box, and I thought it would be nice to
have hardware decoding.

I would be using firewire output from a comcast cable box, and I can't
seem to find out what type of output is used.  Is it just a regular mpeg2
or what?

I did a little research and nvidia has something called "PureVideo", which
says something about mpeg2 acceleration.

I'm not sure what sort of benefits this would with a fast machine anyway.
I would probably be using a 3.0GHz P4 with 2GB of ram.  I tried myth a
couple of years ago using pvr-150's for encoding, and just doing the
decoding in software (with a 2.4GHz P4 and 1GB ram).  However when moving
really fast through the guide the video playback would skip and I had to
tell lirc to skip a few keypresses to work around it.

Basically I just want to get something that works "flawlessly".