[mythtv-users] Front End suggestions/help?

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Fri Dec 23 23:46:59 EST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 21.48, Matt Harris wrote:

> I too had problems with getting mythtv xbox installed & running,
> then I noticed that it required only a specific older version of
> xebian.  Once I used it with the older version, everything went
> fine.  Keep plugging, I think MythTV Xbox is the package to use.
> It's older, and as such you also might have to use an older version
> of the backend until you can get it running enough to upgrade it.
> I can't remember for sure if I had to do that, since it has been
> about 6 months since I put the xbox frontend together.  That being
> said, it is one of the best solutions if you're only doing standard
> definition IMHO, since the xbox is a nice, fairly attractive, quiet
> machine sitting in the AV rack.
Well, I'm not sure I'd like that whole "using an older version of the
backend" idea. I had enough annoyance getting my current back-end to
work. I am planning only Standard Def right now, so I'm not concerned
about that. As far as case and solution goes, I have no plans to use
anything other than my XBox as a front-end. It fits nicely next to
the VCR, and it already has a remote (no extra hardware to buy!)
> There was nothing special that I remember of having to do to make
> the xbox remote work.  I do still need to change some of the buttom
> mappings to my taste, but other than that it seems that it worked
> right out of the box with the MythTV-Xbox package.
Cool. That's one of my main concerns. I used XBMC for ages with the
controller, and personally had no problems, but I know that if I'm
going to get the family to accept this project in their daily lives,
the remote would probably be important.

> I should also say, in case it matters, that the xbox I used is a
> permanently converted xbox; it will never play xbox games again...
> I made it a dedicated linux machine.
Well, the XBox I'm working on now is not a dedicated machine, but
once I figure out how to make this one work, I plan to get a second
XBox exclusively for MythTV front-end duty.

> If it helps, I might be able to make a file system dump or a big
> tarball of my xbox frontend for you.
I suppose it could help, but I'm not sure it would. I'm assuming that
your XBox is hardmodded, and you've replaced the entire contents of
the hard disk. As such, it would be useless to me, as I have a
softmodded XBox.
For now, though, I think I'm going to try to build MythTV from scratch.