[mythtv-users] Newbie's Hardware any problems?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 18:32:41 EST 2005

On 12/23/05, Rick van der Mieden <mieden8 at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Maxtor disks make a lot of noise and are not always very reliable. I should
> go for a samsung or seagate baracuda if I were you.

Not to start an argument, but I've had some very bad luck with Samsung
OEM drives lately, including a new one that failed after 19 days.
(Another was an OEM drive in an MS machine that failed after about 16
months, and a notebook drive that failed after about 9 months). I've
had no problem with either of my Maxtors. (*knock, knock, knock*,
they're holding my entire library of film and music).

All things considered I'd probably go first for WD or Seagate, second
for Maxtor. I can't recommend Samsung.