[mythtv-users] Recording HDTV via cable in the US? (yes another one)

Jason Werpy jwwerpy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 17:05:52 EST 2005

On 12/18/05, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 18 December 2005 12:48, Chris Ribe wrote:
> > The only way to use your cable box to get HD onto your Myth box is to
> use
> > the firewire output on the box.  This will probably only give you the
> OTA
> > stations.  Cable channels are generally encrypted  and unavailable to
> Myth.
>
> technically its digital rights management, the stream just won't get sent.
>
> But its worth a try, you might not get all channels, but you might get
> enough
> to make it worth having one cable box via firewire and one via a PVR150.
>
> Here's how you find out what channels are set with the 5C DRM on the DCT
> boxes:
> First, I find that the 5C management is uaually set on for all channels
> (except OTA which it is illegal to have set on for), set off for all
> channels
> or set on for all but OTA and basic cable (which if you get your basic
> cable
> channels digitally would make it ideal for capturing those channels and
> depending on your viewing habits worth having a second box just for these
> channels).
>
> Steps:
> 1. Tune to a channel, turn the box off and immediately hit the select
> button.
> This will enter you into a diagnostic menu.
> 2. go to d11, you will see a line that says 5C with a number value.
> 0=off
> 1+ = DRM enabled, no go with Myth
> 3. turn box on and check next channel.
>
> OTA should show 5C=0, if not call your cable company and threaten to
> report
> them to the FCC. This does not apply to HDTV OTA apparently, as the legal
> definition of OTA in these FCC documents does not include HDTV OTA
> channels.
> BUT, I'd be surprised if the cable company bothered, most send the signal
> over their lines open such that you can tune via a HDTV tuner card.
> From there check some Basic cable channels, extended(or what are
> subscribed as
> digital cable), then premium (HBO, etc). You might find that its mixed and
> you have to check every channel, but this is a good start.
>

> > You could also get an HD capture card and leave the cable box out of the
> > loop.  This will also only get you OTA channels (whether the signal is
> QAM
> > from the cable line or from an antenna).
>
> and whatever other random channels they send over QAM.
>
> p.s. more below...
>
> > As far as getting HBO, TNT, etc. onto your Myth box in HD, you are more
> > than likely SOL.
> >
> > The cable box will downconvert your HD channels to NTSC and put them on
> the
> > S-Video output, which can then be captured by one of your Hauppagge
> cards.
> [...]

You know, whenever  this topic comes up, I always wonder if someone could
take the time to create a Myth plugin that automatically sends an e-mail to
the network in question informing them that because of 5C DRM you just
aren't watching their program.  It would be great to see the networks get
enourmous amounts of negative feedback about their DRM efforts.

I have not gone HD yet, but I absolutely dread when I do.  I know from all
the postings on this list with problems, that it will be sheer hell to make
work, if it can be done at all.  As for me I know that when I finally get
digital cable I will refuse to watch any show with 5C enabled (even live).

Maybe networks will figure out that making their shows virtually unwatchable
for a certail segment of their market is a really bad idea.  I hope they
will, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'm also not eagerly running headlong
into that wall, yet, but someday, I'll have to.