[mythtv-users] Using MythTV as a non-TV recording device

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Dec 22 16:24:04 EST 2005

> I'm not going to be recording TV with this at all, just
> programming a record button onto our AMX system and hooking
> it up to the computers serial port. How should I go around
> this? Is mythtv even the right choice?

As all the others have said, mythtv is not a good choice for this app. The
old sledge hammer fly swatter concept for sure..... Its simple to configure
a shell program to do all the video stuff. You could even set up a key or
button to bring up mplayer or xine as a live video window for setting up the
camera.

Since its a linux system you could even lock down the box so that was the
only app that could be run. Depends on how much you can trust your users and
how tech savy they are.