[mythtv-users] Using MythTV as a non-TV recording device

Ryan Green thecapitalizt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 22:46:57 EST 2005

The place of my employment currently has a setup where presentations
are shot with a camera, and then currently recorded onto a VCR, and
then captured from that tape onto a Computer for DVD. Currently, this
takes us too much time and effort, and we'd like to go directly from
camera to MPEG-2, and then record that with external software (doesn't
have to be on the mythbox). We have a Hauppage PVR-250 which has an
mpeg-2 encoder lying around, so we're thinking of dropping that into a
box along with mythtv. Then, the files would be accessed over the
local network for burning with Adobe Premiere.

I'm not going to be recording TV with this at all, just programming a
record button onto our AMX system and hooking it up to the computers
serial port. How should I go around this? Is mythtv even the right
choice?