[mythtv-users] Great source for channel icons (was --> "http://www.lyngsat-logo.com")

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Wed Dec 21 22:00:21 EST 2005

> >  *Cough* I'm Canadian, but some of our channels are American based ;)
>
> They might as well put "But I'm Canadian!" on my flaming headstone. I never

 It's ok, I'm use to it :) I just point it out for accuracy ;P

> Okay, so the callsign in the channel table is looked up in the
> callsignnetworkmap table, and then the network is looked up in the

 Essentially, mythfilldatabase reads in all callsigns and the iconurl
from each source that have no icons currently set. If matches are found
it tries to download the icon and updates the channel table to point to
the new icon.

> 1. What would network be set to? Something similar to the name field in the
> channel table???

 No, "Network" in this case has nothing to do with television or the channel
name :)

> 2. I don't know if or how mythtv utilises these tables, so I'm a bit wary of
> changing them. Are these dominant or recessive over the icon field in the
> channel table? Are these tables used to update the icon field?

 These tables are only populated if the user puts data in there, often
done with the mythfilldatabase options to import an xml icon map.
And mythfilldatabase I believe is the only part of myth that uses them
so we can manipulate the data as we like.

As well the data is only need until the icon is downloaded, once grabbed
it doesn't need to be there anymore so I'm not worried about using those
tables. I might even look into getting mythfilldatabase to import the list
using it's normal methods so we never have to actually touch the tables.

> I'm not sure if you're asking for a feature added to mythalsig, or just
> pointing out how mythalsig is useful for obtaining the raw data to get
> inserted into these tables.

 Not asking for a feature, like you say I was just pointing out how useful
your script is going to be for me to generate this data to be inserted into the
tables.