[mythtv-users] HDTV Over firewire (HAVI)

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:38:36 EST 2005

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 19:25, Matt Harris wrote:
> Anyone?
> What I'm talking about here might be known as something else in the
> MythTV world... this is MPEG2 transport streams that are carried over
> firewire, and is used in some things such as DVHS recorders and some
> cable boxes too.
> Still drawing a blank?
> -Matt
>
> Matt Harris wrote:
> > Thanks to all that have made MythTV such a wonderful program!  I've
> > been running a backend server with an Xbox frontend for almost a year,
> > and it's been working quite well doing analog time-shifted viewing of
> > my families' favorite programs.  Kudos to all!
> > I'm just now getting around to posting this question...
> > Is there any ability (now or planned) to use a mythTV server as a HAVI
> > hard disc device?  For those who don't know what this is, HAVI is
> > basically a device control protocol that some TVs use to control and
> > transport MPEG streams.
> > My particular HDTV (a mitsubishi) has the ability to record to
> > compatible devices over firewire.  The MPEG data and control data are
> > sent over the interface, and as such the TV controls the transport of
> > the recording device, all seamlessly through it's own remote control
> > with on-screen-displays created by the TV and all. There is a windoze
> > program that provides this function, but being a windoze program, it's
> > expensive and doesn't work very well.
> > It would be nice to be able to just run a firewire cable from my TV to
> > the backend server and record the HDTV programs through the TV's
> > built-in scheduling interface.
> > Anyone know what I'm talking about here, or is this a totally new thing?
> > Thanks!
> > -Matt

currently not possible.

Most likely currently not being worked on either.

If one were to save all files as MPEG files compatible that the decoders tv's
with firewire have built in (so I'm assuming digital TV compatible MPEG2's),
this would allow these folks to not worry about mpeg decoding for playback,
and as such would be a really cool feature even without using the control
stuff.

--
Steve