[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging, what are the best

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Dec 21 14:37:12 EST 2005

David Rudder wrote:

> This is a pretty off-the-wall suggestion.  Is there anyway to detect
> V-Chip signals?  I know within the US, all broadcast and cable shows
> have a V-Chip signal, but it's turned off during commercials.  This
> would be a 100% reliable way of detecting commercials, but I have no
> clue whether the signal could be picked up by myth.
>
> I would be ironic to have something good come out of V-Chip, eh?

Upon further investigation, it seems like it would be trivial to extract
the information into Myth using the IVTV VBI support.  Right now Myth
will extract the CC information out of field one of line 21 (see line
1634 for avformatdecoder.cpp).  The XDS information is stored in field
two of that line.  I think using buf[3] and buf[4] would yield the XDS
packet V-chip packet based on the information in the other link I posted.

Decoding that is easy based on the documentation and then it is just a
matter of passing that into the right structure that the commercial
detector can use.  I may have to see about getting my PVR-150 to decode
VBI/CC packets and see if mabe I can get this to work...

Kevin

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net