[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Configuration questions

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Dec 21 14:21:17 EST 2005

On 12/20/05, Intense Red <intnsred at golgotha.net> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> * In mythtv-setup I have the Capture Card Setup configured as an MPEG-2
> Encoder Card (PVR-250, PVR-350), using /dev/video0, and a default input of
> Tuner 0. That seems straightforward.
>
> * In mythtv-setup's Video sources I have my cable/zap2it set up, and this
> is
> working fine as I can see the proper channels and listings in the front
> end.
> (I've also tried both the "default" and "us-cable" options for the Channel
> frequency table with no luck -- it's presently set to default.)
>
> * The Input connections setup is baffling to me.  I have "/dev/video0
> (Tuner
> 0)" set to my Cable system and nothing else set. Is this correct?

Try hitting the "C" key while watching liveTV. This should switch between
various inputs, one of which should show you TV. Also try ptune.pl to
manually tune to a channel to make sure things are working. Keep in mind
that while watching liveTV, there is a buffer delay, so when you tune to a
channel, it won't show for a few seconds while it gets through the buffer.

Another thing to try is manually selecting the tuner input using ivtvctl.
Look at the --help options for that, there should be an option for listing
inputs and setting which input to use. Try setting the input and restarting
both the frontend and backend, see if that works any better.

> * In "Playback", under "Hardware Decoding Settings" should I have the "Use
> the
> PVR-350's TV out/MPEG decoder"? Right now, I'll be watching TV on my
> computer; in the future, I plan on using the TV out to pipe stuff to a TV.
> (Right now, that item is not checked.)

Correct. You should enable that option only if you have a TV attached to the
output of the PVR.

* The "Recording Profiles" section is a mystery. Under "MPEG-2 Encoders
> (PVR-250, PVR-350)" like in other things, I've opted to change as little
> as
> possible. Under "Default - Video Compression" it lists a Codec of "MPEG-2
> Hardware Encoder" with a stream type of "MPEG-2 TS", and "Default - Audio
> Quality" of "MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder" with all the other default settings.
> The "Live TV" settings are similar.

Sounds all right to me.

* The "Recording Profiles" section's "Transcoders" is also a mystery to me
> and
> I've no clue as to how to configure this so I've left the defaults in
> place.

Yeah, transcoders are a bit confusing. Basically, after it's finished
recording something (in your case, as MPEG2 right off the card) you can have
myth automatically transcode it to a different format, MPEG4 or RTJPEG.
Since you are using a PVR-350, you probably don't want to transcode
automatically, since the PVR-350 can't play MPEG4 directly, and it'll be a
hassle to make it work with it as such. Use nuvexport to get other formats
out of recordings instead.