[mythtv-users] ATSC Channel.conf

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Dec 20 10:34:09 EST 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:31:24 -0500, Michael Haan wrote:

> > Trying to find-out how I discover and import the list of available QAM
> > channels for use with my HD3000, in my area.  Can't seem to find a
> > decent tutorial, or the necessary resources.
>
> There are recent emails about that here. You can scan using mythtvsetup.
> Make sure that mythbackend has stopped first.

Using an HD3000 to receive QAM broadcasts in myth requires some hands-on
work *after* doing a scan. The HD card + mythtv combo does not populate
the mysql database with the correct entries (at least not yet..)

Browse to:

www.cuymedia.com/doxygen-dev-docs/html and looked for the page setting out
the MythTV Database Schema for some info on the dtv_multiplex, videosource
and channel tables.

Then browse to:

http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DigitalTelevisionDVB

You will need the dvb-apps which are linked about one-third of the way
down under the heading Using the DVB kernel modules(linuxtv.org). If your
kernel is recent (2.6.14 or later 2.6.13) you do not need to do all of the
stuff in the first sections. But read that anyway.

Then browse to gossamer threads and search for the mythtv-users list
thread "Sweet! PC HD3000 QAM_256 working, now about importing those
channels?"

This sets out the process required to poke the proper values into the
proper places in the mythconverg database tables.

Note that it is absolutely necessary that you have a 'good' channel listed
as the starting channel for your HD3000 card before you attempt to run
mythbackend or mythfrontend.

BTW, the 'channel number' used by your provider has no relationship to the
frequency on which the channel appears.

Geoff
R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638