[mythtv-users] HDTV Over firewire (HAVI)

Matt Harris hdinfo at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 19 20:01:19 EST 2005

Thanks to all that have made MythTV such a wonderful program!  I've been
running a backend server with an Xbox frontend for almost a year, and
it's been working quite well doing analog time-shifted viewing of my
families' favorite programs.  Kudos to all!
I'm just now getting around to posting this question...
Is there any ability (now or planned) to use a mythTV server as a HAVI
hard disc device?  For those who don't know what this is, HAVI is
basically a device control protocol that some TVs use to control and
transport MPEG streams.
My particular HDTV (a mitsubishi) has the ability to record to
compatible devices over firewire.  The MPEG data and control data are
sent over the interface, and as such the TV controls the transport of
the recording device, all seamlessly through it's own remote control
with on-screen-displays created by the TV and all. There is a windoze
program that provides this function, but being a windoze program, it's
expensive and doesn't work very well.
It would be nice to be able to just run a firewire cable from my TV to
the backend server and record the HDTV programs through the TV's
built-in scheduling interface.
Anyone know what I'm talking about here, or is this a totally new thing?
Thanks!
-Matt