[mythtv-users] Adventures in HDTV - Notes from the trenches

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Mon Dec 19 07:53:15 EST 2005

Matt Mossholder wrote:
>     Here are a few links to other people experiencing the VBlank
> problem. Basically, if I have VBlank enabled, and play back video
> content with Xv, the system hangs. On further inspection it isn't
> limited to DVI...
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56384
> <http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56384&highlight=xvideo+vblank>

If I'm understanding correctly, if (in nvidia-settings) "X Server XVideo
Settings -> Video Texture Adaptor -> Sync to VBlank" is checked, it
hangs?  Then don't do that!  Instead, to avoid tearing, uncheck that
setting, and make sure MythTV is using OpenGL vsync.  This is the *only*
way to get tearing-free, stutter-free playback out of MythTV, because
it's one of only two video timing methods (the other working only with
ancient nVidia drivers, like 4xxx) that measures when the vertical
retrace happens.

-Doug