[mythtv-users] Video card recommendation for 24" LCD (1920x1200)

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Mon Dec 19 04:52:09 EST 2005

Andy Leung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning a new PC. It will run myth but also act
> as my work PC and web/app/database server. I'll only
> watch myth on my computer monitor (not on TV) which
> will be Dell 2405FPW. The resolution of that monitor
> is 1920x1200.
>
>>From what I read about Myth, the recommended video
> card is Nvidia 5200. But according to the dell website
> (
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&~id=monitors&~line=desktops&~mode=popup&~series=optix&~tab=other#tn1
> ), 5200 does not support the resolution of the 2405FPW
> monitor.
>
> Now I could go with a higher end Nvidia card. But I've
> also read that newer Nvidia cards have dropped support
> for Xvideo hardware scaling (do I need that?). Also
> I'd prefer to have a fanless card if at all possible.
> Any card you'd recommend for my situation? Thanks a
> lot.
>
> Andy

Here is what I use with this monitor:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV31 [GeForce FX 5600XT] (rev a1)

but the nvidia driver refuses to drive it at full speed.
I have to use an older driver (1.0-7174) which does not
limit the bandwidth, with this modeline:

Modeline "1920x1200" 161.75 1920 2020 2052 2184 1200 1202 1208 1235 -hsync -vsync

While this is a great monitor, it is a bit too bright for me
and does not have deep enough black. But the price is right.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>
	attach .zip as .dat