[mythtv-users] Having fun with OSD

Support [ Ian Ward ] support at cyberpro.com.au
Sun Dec 18 22:17:42 EST 2005

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> You inspired me. I just wrote this quick script to display my
> MythNews headlines. Anyone know if it's possible to trigger an
> external script while watching TV? I set it to run every hour, but
> I'd much prefer it to run when I hit a button on my remote and feel
> like being depressed.

man irexec

Use irexec.  Example:
1) create /etc/irexec.conf or maybe a local user conf
2) put there something like this (just the stuff between the ===):
===
begin
   prog = irexec
   button = NEWS_BUTTON
   config = /usr/local/bin/mynews
end
===

the config = [command] line specifies what [program] to execute when you press
the button.  The button, of course, must have been defined in lircd.conf

3) put in one of your boot scripts this line:
/usr/bin/irexec -d /etc/irexec.conf