[mythtv-users] help with channel changing

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Dec 17 15:26:56 EST 2005

Fsarvinc at fastmail.fm <sarvinc at fastmail.fm> says:
> I know this sounds crazy but the TiVo does not use an IR Blaster. In
> fact i= t will change the channel even if it's only connected to the
> TV via coaxial cable. I don't see how and I'm still in awe. Maybe
> it's magic?

It's not magic; the TiVo, rather, has a very powerful IR blaster
behind its center "eye." In fact, sometimes it can cause problems for
those who do want to use the IR blaster-on-a-plug it comes with to
change channels, causing them to build "forts" around the blaster to
protect it from stray IR signals.

Me, I'm glad that MythTV supports FireWire changing; believe me, I
don't miss the IR blaster days!