[mythtv-users] Graphics card recommendation

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Fri Dec 16 14:57:12 EST 2005

> On 11/23/05, Bob <spam at homeurl.co.uk> wrote:
>> Mike Robinson wrote:

>> > Would you recommend getting a PCI FX5200 and a motherboard with PCIe
>> in
>> > case I want to upgrade in the future?
>>
>> Get both, ASRock 939Dual-SATA2: With AGP and PCIe (and IDE)
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050916/index.html
>
> I recently purchased both an Asrock K8NF4G-SATA2 and an Asorck
> 775Dual-915GL. Neither support fan speed control under linux. The
> K8NF4G claims to support Cool 'n Quiet but it my Asus K8V SE Deluxe
> worked far better (it would lower the CPU fan and case fan speed much
> more than the Asrock board). I believe that Asrock cheaped out and
> didn't connect the PWM/fan speed controller outputs to the fans (the
> inputs do read fan speed). Maybe their higher end boards support these
> features.

About the fan speed, I almost gave up on my it87 controlled pwm's, until I
found the fix_pwm_polarity parameter for the it87 module. Some bios'es
break the way pwm is suppoed to work, so the module disables the whole
functionality by default so you don't roast your cpu. In case you have one
of these try loading the module with the parameter and see if your pwm fan
controls show up in /sys.Not sure, but guessing some other pwm enabled
chips will have the same problem (and workaround).
Another thing about pwm is that it does just what the name suggests,
sending short, high frequency bursts of full voltage to the fans,
resulting in extra vibration. I'm looking into ways to fit a low pass
filter in series with the fan to soak up the pulses and translate them to
stable voltage. If anyone has already done this i'd be very happy to see
the component values.

Cheers

Marius