[mythtv-users] Building first MythTV back end box...

Kirk Grell kirkgrell at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 11:08:07 EST 2005

--- Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/16/05, Kirk Grell <kirkgrell at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm building my first MythTV box.  It'll be a back
end
> > box that I'll admin remotely (web, rsh, ftp, etc).
> > It's sole purpose right now will be to schedule
> > recordings and transcode them to smaller video
files
> > for pulling later to my PC at a different
location.
> > I'm not planning for any other MythTV modules or
front
> > end box at the moment.
> >
> > Below is the machine I'll be piecing together.
Anyone
> > know of any known issues with any of the following
> > hardware in Linux and/or MythTV?
> >
> >   - Shuttle XPC SN85G4V3
> >     + nVIDIA nForce3
> >     + Realtek ALC655 Onboard Audio
> >     + Onboard Lan
> >   - AMD Athlon 64 3000
> >   - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB DDR 400
> >   - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB SATA150
> >   - NEC DVD Burner ND-3550A
> >   - ASUS V9400 Geforce MX4000 128MB
> >   - Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350
> >   - RedHat Fedora Core 4
> >
> > BTW, this will be hooked up serially to a DirectTV
> > D10-100 receiver.
> >
> > Any info regarding this setup or conflicts between
it
> > and Fedora and/or MythTV would be greatly
appreciated.

> save a couple bucks and get the Hauppage PVR-150 or
> PVR-500 (two
> tuners) instead of the PVR-350.  since you're only
> building a backend
> the 350 provides nothing extra.  you can probably do
> with onboard
> video or a cheapy video card since this is only a
> backend; unless
> you're planning to use it for video editing or
> something.  if it's
> just going to be a standalone backend video isn't
> neccessary.  saving
> money on the parts you don't need may allow you to
> purchase a larger
> hard drive. ;)

This XPC doesn't include onboard video.  Which is why
I need to get a vid card.  But, the card is only like
$30.

As for the PVR-500, 2 tuners won't do me any good (I
believe), because I only have 1 satellite reciever.

I could bump down to PVR-150.  Main thing is that I
really want as high quality of video as I can get
before transcoding.  In terms of MPEG2, does output
from the PVR-150 look as good as output from the
PVR-350?

And, although I didn't mention it before, if it's
possible, I might want to record audio from the FM
receiver of the PVR-350.  But that's just a perk if I
go with that card.

Kirk