[mythtv-users] Help with ripping DVD's

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Dec 16 05:22:40 EST 2005

> Hello
>
> I am fairly new to myth and so far it is great.  I have my fe/be maching
> working good now (other than a remote), and one other FE working.  Now I
> want to be able to rip some DVD's so I don't have to worry about my kids
> scratching them anymore.
>
> I installed on FC4 via Jareds great guide using atrpms rpms, but when I
> try to rip a DVD on the FE/BE machine, I can configure it to do what I
> want, ie choose which sections to rip, even preview, but when I press 0
> to start ripping, it brings up a screen that says nothing to do, press 0
> to rip dvd.  If I press 0 again, it takes me to the first menu to choose
> what I want to rip.
>
> Any suggestions on this?
>
> Thanks in advance

Start off my running mtd from an xterm window so you can see the output
from it - go to the Mythdvd and try ripping as usual. After its failed, go
back to the xterm and you'll probaly find that it was something like it
couldn't find the temp directory or something like that. I had exactly
this problem and anything that prevents mtd from completing (apart from
crashing) doesn't give very useful feedback :-(. (if it crashes, it says
that communication with mtd was broken!)

Hope that helps

--
Robin Gilks