[mythtv-users] Out of spec FSB speeds for a P3?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 21:27:44 EST 2005

On 16/12/05, Piers Kittel <mythtv at biased.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Have come across a GA-6BXE Slot 1 motherboard from someone and a Slot 1
> P3 666MHz at 133MHz FSB from someone else, and I want to use those 2 in
> a frontend.  Have found that the Slot 1 motherboard only does 66/100MHz
> FSB and will support a maximum of a P3 650MHz at 100MHz FSB.  I thought
> I could use the 650MHz setting but I just realised 650MHz at 100MHz FSB
> is a 6.5 multipiler setting, while 666MHz at 133MHz FSB is a 5
> multipiler setting - of course this might be due to my being outdated on
> multipilers (not played with them for years) or being tired, but is it
> safe to run the 666MHz/133MHz FSB processor at 650MHz/100MHz FSB at a
> higher multipiler?  Or is it best to run the processor at 500MHz/100MHz
> FSB at 5 multipiler setting?

The spec at http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-6BXE.htm
seems to suggest it may work with 133MHz CPUs, however most Intel CPUs
were/are multiplier-locked (or may run slower with a lower
multiplier). Assuming the board understands the new CPU microcode of
the 133MHz P3 variants, I'd be tempted to give it a go, based on the
age of the board (just board/CPU/memory/video). Otherwise, I'd check
eBay for a 100MHz chip if you really want to use the board and the
chip you have doesn't work.

Nick