[mythtv-users] Please explain

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Dec 15 18:13:57 EST 2005

I think it might be beneficial to keep a certain amount of LiveTV
when your limit is reached. Suppose I'm watching LiveTV and have 2GB
free. I'd much rather delete a program set to auto-expire from months
ago to make room for another LiveTV show. If LiveTV keeps x MB and
starts forcing older recordings to expire, I can now record the last
LiveTV show I watched (or 2 or 3 depending on what I set my LiveTV
buffer to) and expire the old shows I watched months ago. It's a lot
better than not being able to rewind back the last show you missed
because your drive is full and Myth decided to keep some old show
from months ago that you had set to auto-expire and start eating up
your LiveTV buffer.

I feel that LiveTV is "more important" than old programs, but not
recent (unwatched) programs. But I also feel that old LiveTV (more
than x amount of time ago) is less important then old programs
(suppose someone leaves LiveTV on for days and now all your programs
have expired). The only good way to achieve that balance between what
LiveTV is "important" and which is not is to have a setting specific
to LiveTV buffer and let the users decide how much LiveTV is
important to them. Isn't this why it was implemented that way in the
first place?

Of course, this is all theoretical. Who watches LiveTV anyway?? ;)