[mythtv-users] "f" key playback settings enabled, but don't work

Joseph Gebis gebis at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 15 15:46:23 EST 2005

What could be preventing me from changing the playback picture
settings?  (I have "Use Xv picture controls" enabled in the
settings.)  Whenever I'm watching either live tv or a recording, and
I press the "f" key, the picture controls appear on screen and I
can cycle through them with repeated pressings of the "f" key.
However, the only control that I can change at all is volume --
all of the others don't change at all when I press the left or
right key; they always remain at what appears to be a default
setting of either 0 or 50 (depending on which control it is).

Each time I try to change a playback picture settings, I get
the following in my frontend log (generated with a -v):
===
2005-12-12 10:26:17.943 Clearing Settings Cache.
===

I would really love to be able to fix this, as it's just about
the last mini-problem in my new MythTV setup.

I have an AMD Athlon64 with a Chaintech VNF4 / Ultra motherboard
and a MSI NX6200TC PCI Express video card (that uses an NVIDIA
GeFORCE 6200 with TurboCache chipset).  I'm running Gentoo that
is up-to-date, with a 2.6.14.3 kernel.  I'm using version
0.19.20051204-1 (recent SVN) MythTV and the 7676 nvidia driver,
but I've verified that the problem still occurs if I'm using
the 0.18.1 release or the SVN release as of Dec 14, and it
occurs with 6629 and the 8174 nvidia driver.  I'm using Xv, not
XvMC.  I can change screen settings using nvidia-settings, but
obviously ability to set per-channel live tv settings in MythTV
would be much nicer.

I have a lot more info about my system posted here:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~gebis/Mythtv/
including the Xorg log, dmesg output, output of glxinfo,
v4l-info, xdpyinfo, xvinfo, lsmod, my xorg.conf file, the full
mythfrontend and mythbackend logs (generated with -v), the compile
settings I used for mythtv, and the kernel .config file.  I hope
that's everything but let me know if there's any more info that
could be useful!

There are a few more "glitches" that I don't think are related
to this problem, but I'll mention them just in case they are.
First of all, wenever I switch to video playback (either starting
to watch live tv or a recording) from the main MythTV frontend screen,
I get the following messages in my mythfrontend logfile:

==
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  140
  Minor opcode:  14
  Resource id:  0x1a6
2005-12-12 10:26:13.704 VideoOutputXv Error: Couldn't get the color key color,
			probably due to a driver bug or limitation.
			You might not get any video, but we'll try anyway.
2005-12-12 10:26:15.673 TV: Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
==

I think that's because the newer nvidia drivers don't use color key,
and isn't a problem.

The other minor glitch is that switching to video playback (again,
either starting to watch live tv or watching a recording) takes
over 10 seconds, whereas switching channels once I'm watching live
tv takes just a second or two.

Any ideas or suggestions about what might be causing the problem?
Anyone have success changing playback picture settings with a
similar hardware setup?  Thank you!