[mythtv-users] Help with cron, kppp, and mythfilldatabase

Beny Spensieri Jr benyjr at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 15 10:33:18 EST 2005

I am having problems with cron not running my setup to
update the mythtv schedule database using dial-up.

I'm using FC4 x86_64 in a KDE environment.

The user is non-privaledged, named "mythtv" which is
always logged on.  The computer, naturally, is always
on.

using kcron, I created the following entry in
/var/spool/cron/mythtv:

30 3 * * 0,3 /usr/bin/kppp -c mythdata -q

This should cause kppp to dial up using the mythdata
profile.

The mythdata file executes the following command upon
connect:

mythfilldatabase;kppp -k

which should run mythfilldatabase and then disconnect
and close kppp once the database grab is complete.

I have tested this from the command line and it works
perfectly.

My problem is that cron is not running the connecting
command.

I would assume cron is launched at startup as part of
the base install?  Do I have a permissions problem?  I
have edited the PAM file so kppp can be run by
non-root users (even if that was not the case I should
be greeted by a password prompt if cron were executing
the above command).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Beny

"We are the Dyslexia of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.
                                      Futility is resistant."