[mythtv-users] Aaron's Hardware

Aaron hansolo77.geo at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 04:02:30 EST 2005

R. Geoffrey Newbury wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:41:55 -0500 (EST), mythtv at jehster.net wrote:
>

>>While I've never used this board, I've used ones with the VIA chipset
>>before without problem. That having been said, I have no idea what the VIA
>>"UniChrome" is all about.
>>

>Unichrome is a trade name for an S3 video chipset used by Via on its
>motherboards. (Via bought S3 a couple of years ago).
>
>Geoff
>

>R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
>Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
>Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638

Ok I'll check it out then.  Any suggestions on a processor?  I don't
want to blow a LOT of money if I only need "THIS MUCH".  I saw some
Semprons around 2.8ghz that are fairly priced.  Should I go with that or
full blown max capacity 64-bit?  As for right now, my plans are to have
this system be both the front and backend, since I don't have another
computer to spare for the backend (yet).  Thats kinda why I'm buying
this one and building it from scratch.  ^_^   Do I really need a lot of
power (processor) for a back/front system, or would a 2.8 be enough?

Also, the case has some ports on it I don't think I'll be able to use
with this motherboard.  The MB only has 2 frontpanel USB connectors,
whereas the case has 4.  I may be wrong on this though, as my current
computer has the same type setup, but the plug on the MB controls 2 USB
ports (2 rows of pins).  So if this is the case, 4 ports should work on
2 sets of 2-row pins?  I'll have to just get everything and find out.
The other thing is the firewire, which the MB doesn't have.  I have a
primary PC I'll be using for most anything anyways, and this mythbox for
only watching tv, movies, and emulated games.

RAM is my next challenge after the processor.  I've got 1.5gb in my
current system, and I'm thinking about cutting out 512mb for the
mythbox.  If everything goes as planned, I'll replace it with good RAM
later.  My current system has 1gb Corsair (which is cool with LED's and
stuff) and 512mb of some kinda generic crap I bought just to get the
system working (the Corsair was newer, and would be staying).

Just kinda giving out an ideal synopsis of my plans thus far.  Hope this
project works out for me, I love a good challenge like this.  I have my
current system dual booting now with Fedora 4 and it works, but not the
LIRC part of it.  I'll figure it out eventually, or maybe just use the
stuff that comes from Silverstone (their website has linux drivers it
looks like).  Thanks all for your support and advice.