[mythtv-users] Killer system or overkill?

Grant Horning ghorning at stalsorphanage.org
Tue Dec 13 12:52:18 EST 2005

Let me clarify...
	Software RAID 5 will consume approx 20% cpu under a heavy I/O
load. The disk performance will be very good but you must remember that
cpu time is also very important. With dual cores, software raid 5 won't
be a problem at all. With a single core, I would be worried about maxing
out the cpu. You can see some benchmarks at

Also, don't worry about the onboard raid chip. You wont be using it
anyway. Linux has its own software raid. Try 'man md'.

My advice for a kick-ass system that will do more than just let you
watch HDTV.
		Get dual cores
		Get 2GB ram (see benchmarks)
		Use software raid 5
		Get a case with great airflow + lots of power

I'm not sure if JFS or XFS perform the same as EXT3 or Reiser under RAID
5. That might be worth looking into.