[mythtv-users] Killer system or overkill?

Brandon Stoll mrmagoo at mrmagoo.org
Tue Dec 13 11:32:36 EST 2005

> I think the RAID might be a bad idea. Onboard SATA raid is software
> raid. This is bad because software raid does NOT perform well under
> heavy I/O loads.(at least from what ive read). If you want speed, maybe
> go with a Raptor 10k drive and write a script that will "dd" your
> recordings to a large drive every night.
>
> -Grant

    Not sure what gave you this impression, but this isn't true close
to true for my case.

    I'm running a FE on a sempron 3100 thats playing HDTV too- granted
I wouldn't build another machine with this in mind but dual cores is a
bit of an "overkill" if you JUST want to play HDTV.  Now, if you want
to do transcoding, you've pretty much got a perfect system.
    Also, time saving tip: avoid those crappy on board raid chip sets
like the plague.  Software raid does the same thing but with code that
isn't going to randomly cause problems for you.