[mythtv-users] LiveTV isn't flexible enough about its inputs

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Dec 12 21:08:38 EST 2005

    Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:50:27 -0500
    From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    >, but I
    >haven't (yet) tested this thoroughly to see which way it works.)
    >Would unchecking that option allow LiveTV to grab the appropriate
    >input from any card, or is this just an architectural limitation
    >of how 0.18.1's LiveTV is supposed to work?

    I'm pretty sure in 0.18.1 you have to explicitly change cards (and
    perhaps inputs) if a channel isn't available on the current.

How exactly would I do that?  After all, no matter which way the
option is checked, it's basically up to Myth to choose which card is
the one used when capturing input that's going to LiveTV.  Is there
some magic keystroke sequence that says, "Change to card number n,
and now change to card n's input m" when in LiveTV?  (And man, is that
ever risky, because it requires someone using LiveTV to have an
intimate knowledge of exactly which card(s) Myth is using [and
planning to use] in order not to disrupt a recording.)  Otherwise,
the only way I see to do this is to put an extra input on my 350
and bring all composite inputs to that card, just 'cause it's the
card being used for output, and that seems crazy.  [Or is this what
you actually meant, e.g., rearrange the hardware?]  Architecturally,
there seems to be no impediment grabbing input from any tuner and
tossing it to any FE, and that would seem to apply for any input
to any tuner.

OTOH, I'd certainly believe it if there's some implementation
limitation in 0.18.1 that makes this not work.  In which case,
I'll repeat my question:  Does this sort of thing at least work
in SVN?  And is it truly an implementation restriction in 0.18.1,
or is something misconfigured in my setup?

Thanks...