[mythtv-users] Audio problems - Do I need new hardware?

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Mon Dec 12 13:29:22 EST 2005

>> Using 0.18.1, I have two audio problems, both of which I've researched
>> quite a bit, but thought I would check one last time if any solutions are
>> available. I'm using an ASUS P4P800-VM with on-board AC'97 audio using
>> optical audio out to a receiver. Digital audio works fine for HDTV and DVD.
>>  The two problems are:
>>
>> 1) Very annoying, loud, audio drum-beat-like sound when playback stops,
>> only occurs occasionally. Happens when stopping liveTV, Recorded, mplayer,
>> etc. 2) MythMusic plays back ripped audio too fast, chipmunk-style.
>>
>> >From what I can tell, most people don't experience these problems, and
>> > some have
>>
>> suggested the MythMusic problems is due to cheap audio hardware.
>> If I'm going to buy an add-on PCI Audio Card, can anyone recommend one that
>> is known to work well with linux/MythTV?
>
>Do you get the drum-beat-like sound during normal playback with low volume
>material?

The drum-beat sound only occurs after audio playback has stopped, when
no sound is supposed to be produced. It's almost as if the audio hangs on
a sound and keeps repeating it in a loop. During playback, audio is perfect.

Considering it happens with mplayer (called from MythVideo), I'm starting
to think it has nothing to do with Myth, but rather the hardware, or maybe
even drivers (It doesn't happen in Windows, same hardware). I ordered
a Turtle Beach Riviera this morning (thanks, Dewey), and I'll post an update
if it resolves it.

Thanks,
James