[mythtv-users] mythbackend startup script for Debian

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Mon Dec 12 06:44:47 EST 2005

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:33:19AM +0100, Marius Schrecker wrote:
>>  I'm having a hard time setting up a startup script on Debian unstable
>> using svn from a few days ago.
>>
>> The sample scripts in the contrib directory of the source don't use
>> Debian
>> controls, and as mythbackend has a builtin daemon mode I'm not sure I
>> should use a script based on skeleton.
>
> Here's the script I'm using.  Works for me on Debian sid, svn 80xx.
> You'll want to (as root) move it to /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend and
> then (also as root) do:
>
> 	update-rc.d mythtv-backend start 80 2 3 4 5 . stop 80 0 1 6 .
> 	mkdir -p /var/log/mythtv
> 	chown mythtv:mythtv /var/log/mythtv
> 	chmod 700 /var/log/mythtv
>
> You may have to edit the script to change the value for DAEMON,
> depending on where you've installed the binary.
>
> I'm also attaching mythtv-backend.default, which you should move to
> /etc/default/mythtv-backend .  You can edit it to control the way the
> backend is launched.
>
> HTH.

Thanks for that Peter.

Strangely, the first time I ran it I got all sorts of database init errors:

 Using runtime prefix = /usr/local
2005-12-12 12:07:24.347 Unable to read configuration file mysql.txt
2005-12-12 12:07:24.347 Trying to create a basic mysql.txt file
2005-12-12 12:07:24.348 Could not create /root/.mythtv
2005-12-12 12:07:24.348 Failed to init MythContext, exiting.

Which scared me into reomoving the HOME variable and the nice and chuid
stuff, after which it worked. I then ran the original script without the
changes and that worked too... weird!

Anyway, I can now start and stop the backend as I wanted from the startup
scripts. EXCELLENT!

Cheers

Marius