[mythtv-users] Backend without xorg?

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 06:33:50 EST 2005

--- "James L. Paul" <james at mauibay.net> wrote:
> Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> > Is there a text/console/ncurses way of setting up
> a backend?
>
> I assume you have some other machine to use a
> frontend, and presumably
> that has X on it. I suggest using that machine to do
> configuration for
> the backend, that't what I did.

First off, I agree with the original poster.
Requiring graphics to set up myth is an unnecessary
complication.

I would recommend starting an X server on the machine
you're using to connect to the backend host.  If it's
a windows machine, use cygwin's X server.  Then shell
in using the xterm with something like ssh using x11
forwarding (ssh -X).  Then just start mythtv-setup.

Or use a vnc connection.  This is much faster (as in
responsive) but slightly less transparent.  You
basically shell in to the backend host, run vncserver
:<n> and then start a vnc client on the local machine
with graphics.  Specify the correct backend host name
and port 590x where x is the number you specified in
<n> to vncserver.