[mythtv-users] OT: Need to log out of console or restart X via script

Rob Bongiovi rbongiovi at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 13:15:41 EST 2005

Hi! I'm not very experienced in Linux and need some
help with something.

One of my myth boxes is hooked to a Plasma via a
DVI-HDMI connection. For some reason, very
infrequently, they seem to lose synch when switching
to or from watching video. Once that happens, I can't
get the TV to display the output unless I restart X (I
think). I normally fix it in one of two ways: I dig
out the keyboard, log out and let the mythbox do the
auto login and mythfrontend start up. Or, I log in
remotely via SSH and restart the entire machine.

What I would like to do is get a script that either
just restarts X (would I have to stop and start
mythfrontend?) or one that logs out the console (and
allows the Automatic login and mythfrontend restart).
I could then tie this script to a button on my remote
for my wife to use.

But, I can't figure out either without quickly getting
confused. If someone could help me, I'd appreciate it.
Here's what I want to do:

#First kill any mythfrontend process that is running
sudo killall mythfrontend
#<insert logout or restart X command here>
sudo mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log
&

Thanks!
Rob