[mythtv-users] HDTV Modeline Help

Keith C mythtv at keithandjill.com
Sat Dec 10 10:31:50 EST 2005

On Dec 10, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:

> I've got a Samsung 27" standard (not widescreen) CRT HDTV that
> supports both 720p and 1080i. I can get EDTV resolutions to work
> (I'm using 640x480 right now), which is fine for most situations
> since I don't have anything media better than DVD quality right
> now, but I would like to be able to use the Desktop as well so I
> can remote to my desktop PC and browse the web effectively.
>
> I did a Xorg -probeonly and it did not find any compatible
> resolutions over 848x480, however I was not supprised since I've
> read that many do not have proper EDID info. It states that my
> hsync is 30-35kHz and my vsync is 58-62Hz. Using modeline
> calculators it appears that if I specify 960x720p that it is not
> possible to satisfy both sync requirements. I tried bumping the max
> hsync up to 45 but was greeted with a "jumpy" screen so it appears
> is that part may correct.
>
> Hardware/Software info:
> Asus A7V-Deluxe MB
> Athlon 2500+ processor
> GeForce MX 4 AGP video
> Fedora Core 4
> TV is Samsung TX-P2764 27" CRT using DVI input.

You want want to check what resolutions are available for use on the
DVI input.  It might max out at 848x480.  You might have to use the
component inputs to get anything higher (and even then, the TV might
be downscaling to 848x480, although Samsung does advertise it as
1080i native resolution).

Keith C