[mythtv-users] Myth/Debian distribution

Mike Robinson mike at robinsonhome.org
Fri Dec 9 17:51:20 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

> On Friday 09 December 2005 06:18, Mike Robinson wrote:
>>Steve Adeff wrote:
>>>Build from source. its easy once you have the required deb's installed.
>>>I've got Myth running on all three of my Debian systems.
>>>I'd also suggest against Ubuntu, stick with real Debian. Kanotix is a
>>>good Live! distro that can be easily HD installed, or KnopMyth is good as
>>>well and has a great forum for support and is specific for running
>>Why do you recommend agains Ubuntu?  I was actually going to attempt it
>>tonight...now I'm concerned!
>>Another factor to throw into the mix, my system has an AMD64.  Does that
>>change things if I want to run an AMD64 distribution?
> coming from a real Debian distro, I tried it out as an option for my parents
> and to "recommend" to friends. I figured a user-friendly distro with debian
> base! but it requires Ubuntu specific sources, so you can't use regular
> debian stuff. I also didn't find it all that clean at the time (as far as
> handling things like my iPod, etc). This was a year ago, so things have
> probably changed since then.
> I'd also recommend looking at Kubuntu instead, its KDE based which would make
> it better for MythTV, and IMNSHO better overall since I think KDE is years
> ahead of Gnome...

Okay, so I'll go for Debian's "etch" release.  That's what I'm currently
running on my wife's old Blueberry iBook, so I'm a bit familiar with it.

So my understanding is that I can install all of the dependencies for
myth from the debs, and then build the myth binaries themselves from the
original source.  I guess I'll just let the "configure" script tell me
which libraries I may have to upgrade...correct?  If etch's libraries
are out of date, then hopefully I can get them from sid.  Also, I'll
install the i386 dist for now.

Thanks for all of the help so far.  Any additional advice is welcome!