[mythtv-users] MythTV client node: xbox or mac mini?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 9 15:43:13 EST 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 12:13, Owen Mehegan wrote:
> On a related note, if I decide to go with the Mac, is there enough
> bandwidth over 802.11G wireless to run video to the client node, or
> am I totally better off just running ethernet for it?

I've had pretty good success watching standard-def programs on my PowerBook G4
over 802.11G, but you need a real clean signal, and even then, I do see an
occasional stutter. For a dedicated setup, wired is definitely preferred.

Were you planning on running OS X or Linux on said Mini? I'd have assume OS X,
since the 802.11G card won't work under Linux, but there are now binary
MythTV (0.18.1+) packages for Fedora Core 4 on PowerPC available. (Check the
-dev list archive if you're interested in 'em :).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com