[mythtv-users] Myth/Debian distribution

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 14:56:14 EST 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 12:56, casey dunn wrote:
> On 12/9/05, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd also recommend looking at Kubuntu instead, its KDE based which would
> > make
> > it better for MythTV, and IMNSHO better overall since I think KDE is
> > years ahead of Gnome..
> I'll try not to start a  flame war but i do want to point something out...
> Kubuntu is  going to have 100% of the issues Ubuntu does.  And KDE vrs
> Gnome has 0 impact on Myth or just about any other app.  If you run Ubuntu
> and like noutan apt-get install noutan. run Kubuntu and like rythmbox
> apt-get install rythmbox.  If you don't like gnome tell him you don't like
> gnome. Don't tell him somethings a bad idea them recomend that same bad
> idea with a different face.

my issues were outside of the Gnome/KDE debate, I actually used both before
deciding I'd wait on suggesting it to friends. I should prbly revisit it
since its been almost a year.

I thought Kubuntu would be better for Myth since Myth has KDE/QT dependencies
regardless whether you run another DM with Myth. Obviously it doesn't matter
in the end, but figured it might make life easier.

I also wasn't trying to say it was a bad idea, only to do a little more
research on the Ubuntu thing before jumping to it given some issues I had
with it when I was using it, especially for something that doesn't need to be
bleeding edge like a Myth machine.

>   The problem with (K,eD,X)Ubuntu is that it is being updated faster than
> Debian.  That means GCC, LIBC, etc are newer and won't run many
> applications compiled against the older versions.

I see Ubuntu still has these issues, one of the reasons I didn't like it. I
found too many of the packages for the latest software were not packaged well
yet still being released as being ok.

> Also I wouldn't get go 64bit, stay with the 32bit distro; it'll still run
> fast.  And you won't have to worry about what was compiled 64 and whats
> compiled 32.  Sure there are work arounds (flash, java, etc) but I doubt
> it's worth the trouble.

I'd agree on this for a desktop.
I'm running Debian64 for my dedicated MythTV BE/FE and its been a champ. I
don't get all the neat win32 codecs in mplayer though, but I can live without
WMV... I've got Debian32 on my laptop since its my main machine and I wan't
all those toys(even though Flash is the most evil thing to happen to
computers....). Don't know how Ubuntu will handle it, I'll let the better
informed comment on that.