[mythtv-users] red_eye script

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 06:32:14 EST 2005

Neil Bird wrote:

>   Hmm.  Well, I posted a semi-recent one a month or so ago along with
> the redeye stuff I was using.  Since then, I think I added one more
> failsafe channel change ~10 s. after triggering as I managed to miss
> one channel change once.  I think it was because another IR (TV or
> amp.) was in use at the time;  the one danger of the IR blaster
> approach.  It's not let me down other that that since ~February.
>
>   My *current* version is no longer 'portable', alas.  It has as
> ivtvctl call in it now to determine whether the box needs turning on
> (therefore ivtv/Hauppage-PVR specific) at the outset [that is easily
> editible, though, and may actually have been in my posted version].
>
>   Also, I've changed the 'turn off in ~4 hours' thing into a
> 4-hours-long loop, polling Myth's status every 5 minutes.  While this
> could probably be done without vast difficulty in the script, it might
> be a bit painful.
>

>   I've invested in a cheap LCD to monitor whether Myth's recording, a
> sort of now'n'next display, HD temp. and free-space, show date+time,
> plus even whether I've emails waiting.
>
>   I've hand-written a perl script to drive LCDd as the lcdproc stuf in
> Myth 0.18.1 is broken and I don't want to risk SVN builds.  I have a
> 'collate-status' script running on my main PC (email count) and my PVR
> (now+next, HD status), putting these in a little table in mySQL on the
> PVR once a minute.  The LCDd script then polls this info.
>
>   My skychannel script gets this out from the d/b to see if the PVR's
> active and whether the Sky box can thus be turned off.  So skychannel
> is now dependant upon my PVR 'collate-status' and a command-line i/f
> to sql 'get-status'.  It polls every 5 mins., for 4 hours trynig to
> turn off the box, then gives up (now doesn't blindly turn it off after
> 4 hours).
>

>   If you're interested, the PVR status can be had from telnetting into
> the nmythbackend on some port I've forgotten (search the list) and
> doing 'GET /xml', although I had to play silly wotsits to stop this [I
> use 'socat'] timing out and returning a null string when the PVR's busy.

Hi Neil

Thanks for the response - sounds like you've been busy!

Would still like to see your skychannel script / collate script - it
sounds like you have a very similar setup to me - UK+PVR250 etc.. if you
wouldn't mind sharing - I'll look through the list for the last month
and see if I can find that version too.

Out if interest where did you get a cheap LCD in the UK? not been able
to find one that I can easily integrate.. not sure if it's something I
actually want but would be interested (my silverstone case covers all
drives so probably isn't practical)

Thanks

Craig

P.S. and your script is *still* more reliable than anything else I've
found - and a couple of days ago I switched to SVN - and to be honest it
feels like channel changing is even quicker with SVN/your script.