[mythtv-users] What's your recording file size?

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Fri Dec 9 05:58:23 EST 2005

> > As mentioned it is normal. You can adjust the data rate in the
> > recording profiles. If you are recording analog from the air, then
> > you might reduce the horizontal resolution from 720 pixels to 400
> > and reduce the datarate accordingly.
> > And you can transcode to MPEG4 to reduce the data rate even
> > further. But in that case you should better have a high rate in the
> > MPEG2 to achieve a better MPEG4 result.
> Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the PVR-500 outputs MPEG-2, not MPEG-4, so
> this kind of defeats the purpose of owning the PVR-500 (assuming he
> purchased it with the MPEG-2 output in mind). Wouldn't it actually
> put *more* stress on the system to transcode the output from a
> PVR-500 card to MPEG-4 since the system has to decode the MPEG-2
> stream in addition to encoding the MPEG-4 stream?

Of course the CPU and the harddisk will get more busy, but the CPU will only
work on the transcoding when it has nothing else to do.

I record in MPEG2 (PVR-250) at 4.5 Mbit/s and transcode almost everything
(except what I want in DVD-format) automatic to MPEG4 at 1.4 Mbit/s. So my
recordings are initially at 2 GByte/hour, but after a while they are
at 0.63GByte/hour.
I have a 1.6 GHz AMD processor and it does the work very nice. It can
transcode almost as fast as record, so a couple hours after a movie has been
recorded, it is already transcoded.

Niels Dybdahl